Hummers fledge

We noticed the first young hummers of the year at the feeders this weekend.
Now that the little ones are out and about the activity around the feeders
is much busier than it has been for the past few weeks.  We usually notice
a major increase in activity around June 1 when the young start hitting the
sugar water, then again around July 1.  I assume the July 1 increase is
either the first migrant movement or second broods of local breeders, or a
combination of the two.  In any case, this pattern has held steady for
several years.

Recently someone asked about reliable sites for Willow FC's in western NC.
We noted singing birds at Jackson Park in Hendersonville, NC on Saturday
for the second consecutive year.  The birds hang around a small waterway at
the south end of the park.  From the 4-seasons entrance follow the road all
the way through the park to the "rear" gate.  Just before the gate turn
left and park behind the last softball field.  The birds can usually be
seen/heard in the wet area along the 1st base line and the area behind home
plate.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC