Bald Cardinal

We have a Cardinal visiting our feeder.  It is a male with bright colors and
full size but the head is completely bald and black.  The body feathers are
full color and stop at the neck like a "thick robe." The beak and body are
all normal looking with the exception of the lack of any feathers on the head.

We would appreciate comments re illness, late development, rare, and any
other thoughts. Will the feathers eventually grow??

Thanks,

Jim Bardsley
Murrells Inlet, SC