Re: Bald Cardinal

At 08:29 AM 6/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>We have a Cardinal visiting our feeder.  It is a male with bright colors and
>full size but the head is completely bald and black.  The body feathers are
>full color and stop at the neck like a "thick robe." The beak and body are
>all normal looking with the exception of the lack of any feathers on the head.
>
>We would appreciate comments re illness, late development, rare, and any
>other thoughts. Will the feathers eventually grow??

Fear not.  Each year at about this time, there is a spate of messages on
Carolinabirds reporting bald Cardinals.  Just remember:  when they're
moltin,' they're revoltin.'  For some reason, many Cardinals seem to molt
their head feathers all at once, rather than gradually.  I suspect you will
see your bird in all his full finery fairly soon.

Norm

Norman Budnitz, nbudnitz@duke.edu
919-684-3592 (day), 919-383-0553 (eve),919-660-7293 (fax)

(work) Biology Dept, Duke Univ, Box 90338, Durham NC 27708
(home) 4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)