Re: landing on a hawk

Kate, Chris and C-Birders:

I recently watched an E. Kingbird land three times on
the back of a female N. Harrier
as she glided down a ridge over pasture in far
northern Ashe Co.
I was all set (scope, nocs, Crazy Creek chair)
watching the harriers so I was positioned above the
two and got a great look.

I thought I was seeing things until I was scanning
all my Blue Ridge/mt. bird guides
later that night and read about this behavior in the
little guide,
"Birds of the Smokies" by Alsop.
I did not observe any feather plucking but the E.
Kingbird definitely "surfed",
(no longer flapping/flying) on the back of this
non-plussed harrier.
Extraordinary.

Jill Froning
c. Chatham Co. NC