house finch observation

Hi,

I have lots of house finches at my feeders and I have noticed something
interesting.  It does not seem to be consistent with every bird, but
frequently enough to be more than an isolated incident.  Some of the birds
that are either juveniles or females, but I think they are juveniles,
sometimes have two feathers sticking up on their heads - they look like
feather cowlicks but they are placed on the head as if they were horns.
It's very strange.  I have seen it occasionally on birds over 3 summers in 2
different locations (so I doubt that it's just one wierd bird that I'm
seeing).  I have no idea what the purpose of it could be or if there is some
behavior that might cause it inadvertently (like the pollen on the
hummingbird).  Has anybody else seen this?

Shannon Douglas
columbia, sc
monkeyself@email.msn.com

PS the nuthatches at my feeder are brown headed.  Thanks for all the