White-tailed Tropicbird

Hi Carolinabirders,
	This morning I and Rich Lilly, who is new to the area and new to birding,
took the headboat Capt. Bill III out of Murrells' Inlet.  Our best bird was
a WHITE-TAILED TROPICBIRD.  This bird confused us some because the bill
from below looked yellow and from above was quite orange almost red/orange.
It lacked the tail streamers but had a ladder effect on the lower back
caused by the black barring. The head, nape and upper back were white as
was the entire wing surface except for the outer half of the primaries
which were black.  The best representation in the field guides was the
STOKES juvenile white-tailed.  It had the black flame shaped mark extending
from the eye. I filmed the bird with my digital camcorder and I 'll take a
look at the film tomorrow.
	Other birds seen were a large Shearwater flying away from the boat
undoubtedly a Cory's or Greater. A distant Skua or Jaeger, (a big bulky
bird harassing terns) Three Bridled Terns were seen.  There were also good
numbers of large and medium sized terns. Some were Royals and one was a
Caspian.

Jack
Jack Peachey
Conway, SC