Lake Crabtree 9/15-9/16

The first cold front of the season can be a magical time.  Birders head
toward their favorite patch of woods hoping to find the trees full of
brightly colored migrants.  Such was the case Saturday morning as I drove
to Lake Crabtree County Park near the RDU airport.  The morning was crisp
and held the promise of a good morning's birding.  I was not disappointed.
While nothing rare, the numbers were very good with several large flocks of
birds including the following:

N. Parula 10-15
Yellow-throated Wabler 1-2
Black-throated Green Warbler  5-10
Black & White Warbler 2-5
Magnolia Warbler  10-15
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5-10
Blackburnian Warbler 2-5
American Redstart 10-15
Pine Warbler 2-5
Prairie Warbler 1
Palm Wabler 2-5
C. Yellowthroat  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1-2
Summer Tanager  5-10
Scarlet Tanager  5-10
Red-eyed Vireo 2-5
Solitary Vireo 1
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher 10-15
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1

I only spent about an hour in the park Sunday morning, but ran into a few
birds:

Yellow Warbler
N. Parula
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
American Redstart
Pine Warbler
Palm Wabler
C. Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Solitary Vireo
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Nice to have a front come through in time for the weekend!

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
computer.