Palmetto Peartree Preserve

	Joan Kutulas and I stopped by the (new) Palmetto Peartree Preserve (in
Tyrell County, NC) on Sunday p.m. for an hour or so. It was very windy out
of the NE and birds were fairly scarce. We did see two, first year Bald
Eagles as well as at least one adult, all in the same area. Also we found
seven Red-cockaded Woodpecker cavity trees, but alas, no woodpeckers. It was
disturbing to see that the pines had been clearcut (recently) up to within
only a couple hundred yards of the nests. I wonder what effect this may have
had on these birds (which were here in the spring).
	Interesting birds we did find were White-breasted Nuthatches (this is
pretty far east for them)and a few migrants : Black-throated Blue Warblers,
Redstarts, and a Northern Waterthrush. We undoubtedly would have had more
success if we had not been there in the mid-afternoon.
	Cheers,
		Jeff Lewis
		Manteo, NC