Happy Valley Migrants

Dwayne and I spent the morning birding the Wagner Property in Happy Valley,
NC (north of Lenoir) and had quite a spectacular time!!!!!!  We actually
found a life bird----a beautifully plumaged Lincoln's Sparrow whom we chased
around the alder thickets for half an hour before he finally cooperated and
sat on a dead open limb in the full sun and allowed us to look leisurely at
him and the field guide to make absolute sure!!!  There were birds
EVERYWHERE!  We wound up with 67 species including 13 warbler and 7 sparrow
species---which is a great number for this early in the "sparrow season".
We'll be having a field trip to this spot on October 20th and there should
be lots more little brown jobs there by then!!!!!  Here's the list:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk (two beautiful adults calling to each other)
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Empidonax Species (had several that we couldn't call)
Eastern Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Swainson's Thrush
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo (our first this year!)
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler (our first this fall!)
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler (our first this fall!)
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Palm Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
American Redstart
Worm-eating Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow (our first this fall!)
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow (our first this fall!)
White-throated Sparrow (our first this fall!  and the earliest we've had
them in the foothills)
Lincoln's Sparrow (finally-----we knew one would turn up here someday!!!!)
Bobolink (our first this fall!)
Eastern Meadowlark