Carolina RBA October 1 Update

hotline: Carolina Rare Bird Alert
date: October 1, 2001
number: 704-332-2473
to report: 704-332-2473 or 704-532-6336 or PiephoffT@aol.com
coverage: North and South Carolina
compiler: Taylor Piephoff for the Carolina Bird Club

Hello, this is an October 1 update of the Carolina Rare Bird Alert featuring
birding news from North and South Carolina; sponsored by the Carolina Bird
Club. Highlights on this report include:

BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS
CONNECTICUT WARBLERS
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW
LARK SPARROW
VESPER SPARROW

A BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, described as an imm. male, was seen in Conway, SC on
9-28. Efforts to relocate the bird were not successful.

An OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was seen along the boadwalk at Congaree N.M. in SC
on 9-23.

BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS can be seen at the Super Sod Farms in Orangeburg,
SC. Three birds were present on 9-23. Be sure to check in at the office
before driving along the dirt roads there.

One of the more sought-after fall migrants is the CONNECTICUT WARBLER. this
warbler has been reported twice in the last week. On 9-26 one was at
Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, NC; and today 10-01 there was one at Duck, NC
in the Founder's Ridge area.

Some of the rarer sparrows have been found on the Outer Banks in the last
week. LARK SPARROWS were at the Old Coast Guard Station on the south side of
Oregon Inlet and the Visitor Center at Pea I. NWR. A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW was
at the ferry terminal at the south end of Ocracoke I. ; and a VESPER SPARROW
was seen at the north dike of North Pond at Pea I. NWR.

Thanks this week to Jack Peachey, Pete Worthington, Judy Walker, and Jeff
Lewis.

Taylor Piephoff
Charlotte, NC
PiephoffT@aol.com