Santee Coastal Reserve, 10-2-01

Hi y'all,
    Bob Maxwell, Jack Peachey and I took a little trip to one of my fav
birding places today, Santee Coastal Reserve (SCR.) The weather was very
fine, the company was excellent, the birding was pretty sporty and there
were PLENTY of potential West Nile Virus vectors about (no-see-ums were
abundant as well.) Bird of the day is....in CAPS below. Way cool! Looks like
October is Flycatcher month. Here's a species list (LB = Litchfield Beach).
78 spp. total...

P-b Grebe
D-c Cormorant
Anhinga
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored heron
Green Heron
White Ibis
TV
Am. Black Duck
Mottled Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Clapper Rail (LB)
C. Moorhen
Am. Coot
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull (LB)
Caspian Tern
Rock Dove (LB)
Eurasian Collared-Dove (LB)
Mourning Dove
Owl sp.
Chimney Swift (SCR, LB)
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker (heard)
Red-bellied Wp.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - first of fall for me
Downy Wp.
Red-cockaded Wp.
N. Flicker
Pileated Wp.
Eastern Wood-Peewee
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER - perched on bare limb alongside the road about
halfway to the impoundments. Life bird, state bird, year bird, Chas. Cty
bird for me. Woohoo!
Eastern Phoebe
W-e Vireo
R-e Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow (SCR, LB)
Barn Swallow (LB)
Car. Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
W-b Nuthatch
B-h Nuthatch
Car. Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
E. Starling (LB)
Tennessee Warbler - possible, not a great look
N. Parula
Magnolia W.
Pine W.
Palm W.
Black-and-white W.
Am. Redstart
Common Yellowthroat - appropriately named "common"
E. Towhee (heard)
Bachman's Sparrow (heard)
Savannah Sp. - first of fall for me
N. Cardinal
Indigo Bunting - immatures
R-w Blackbird
Common Grackle
Boat-tailed Grackle (SCR, LB)
House Finch
House Sparrow (LB)

No Yellow-rumps...yet.

Would be nice to see a thrush or two, before the Hermits show up.

Odyssey update: 263

Woohoo!
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")