Autumn Is Over

It matters not what the calendar or thermometer say; autumn is
officially over at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History
near York SC.

We know that because in the past two days I have banded--among
others--a male Ruby-crowned Kinglet, a recently fledged
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (and recaptured an adult female banded last
year), a male White-throated Sparrow, and a Winter Wren (only our
fifth since 1982). Photos of these cold-weather friends are likely to
appear in the next installment of "This Week at Hilton Pond."

Although autumn is gone, we are in seasonal purgatory, for winter
will not arrive here officially until the first Dark-eyed Junco of
the season is trapped and banded.

Happy Transitional Birding,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.