NEXRAD ornithology (a quick how to)

Hi Folks,

I'm sure many of you know that you can read NEXRAD radar velocity echos to
watch bird movements on a grand scale (BIRDCAST and all that), but for those
who have not been given directions, here's how to do it yourself: (note that
this works mostly at night since that's when more birds move. It goes back a
few years but is still fun to do… look at Cape May, Pelee or Cape Cod on a
NW wind at about 9 at night).

First open one internet explorer, netscape (or whatever browser you use).
Put the following in the address window and click "go" (or hit enter or
whatever to go there):

http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/birdrad/RADAR.HTM

(Yes it's a Clemson site… Reflectivity center of the ornithological world)

Now click on "velocity". Here you will  see a map of the US with dots. Click
on the dot nearest you (or where you would like to see bird movement)  and
you will see red and green color-fields (unless unavailable). Granted there
is no rain where you are looking, the green area represents birds flying
toward the radar center (INBOUND birds) and the red dots are birds moving
away from the radar (OUTBOUND birds… see the table of "knots" for actual
speed of movement.  Then open a new browser window
(File->new) and enter (go to) the following:

http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/RadarLoop/

and click on "radar loop". This will show you rain that might interfere with
your bird velocity-watching.
Then, in yet ANOTHER browser window, go to:

http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/WINDcast/d1_00/

and check out the wind directions. You will see how bird movement and wind
do and don't coincide. Tonight I see that there are some confused birds out
there, flying north and away from the coast in SC/GA due to the easterlies
and I also see that the northerlies in New England are sending VT birds
north.

This evening I followed the coast migration down from New England and saw
that everything was moving along the coast until Jacksonville, NC, where the
direction of bird movement heads BACK northeast toward the outer banks with
the outbound bird numbers and velocities being fewer and less widespread
than inbound meaning they must be dropping in).

Have fun!
Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC