Fw: RFI - South Carolina Trip

Amalie and other CarolinaBirders,

I found this RFI of some interest, since Caroline and I were in just this
sort of position when we were grad students at Duke and UNC in the early
1970's. We quickly learned that, while we lived in Durham, Chapel Hill, or
Carrboro (depending on just what year we look back on), the easiest
mountains to bird were in Virginia (Peaks of Otter) and the easiest coastal
birding was in South Carolina (Huntington Beach State Park).

So I shall attempt to answer the following question: If I were coming from
the Triangle area of North Carolina in late February or early March, where
would I go birding in South Carolina? I will attempt to lay out my top dozen
choices for late winter birding in South Carolina.

South Carolina has many fine birding areas in its piedmont and mountains,
but, for the most part these would not be so interesting in late winter for
North Carolina birders. Piedmont is piedmont, and Mason Farm is quite
similar to Broad River Wildlife Management area in February, etc. So what
are my top ten coastal plains picks for late winter?

1.  Bear Island Wildlife Management Area and nearby Donnelly Wildlife
Management Area in Colleton County, near Green Pond. Bear Island can be
simply wonderful in late winter. There are a few ducks still hanging around,
including the numerous resident Mottled Ducks. Bald Eagles are breeding, and
are very conspicuous. The shorebird migration is beginning, and you might
see hundreds of Long-billed Dowitcher, Short-billed Dowitcher, both
yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, and other stuff. There is at least a chance
six species of rail (although Yellow Rail is very tough, and Black Rail is
usually just heard). The mosquitoes are not too bad, and the weather can be
very good. This is the best birding in the state (not counting the Savannah
spoil site or the Yawkey Center, neither of which is very easy to get in to
legally).

2. Huntington Beach State Park, Georgetown County. This is a superb spot
anytime except perhaps June. Hike out to the jetty and get the Purple
Sandpipers and who knows what else. Hook up with a local birder (such as
Jack Peachey or Gary Phillips) for the latest info.

3. Santee Coastal Reserve and nearby areas, Charleston County. Along the
entrance road watch for Red-cockaded Woodpecker and listen for singing
Bachman's Sparrow (although they might not have started singing in late
February). The marsh trail is wonderful, and you just might turn up a
rarity, such as a Ruff.

4. Congaree Swamp National Monument, Richland County. The boardwalk loop
will be wonderful for wintering and early spring land birds.

5. Congaree Bluff Heritage Preserve, Calhoun County.  Listen for Wild
Turkeys gobbling. Look out over the Congaree Swamp from the top of the bluff
and marvel at the new green leaves coming out two or three weeks ahead of
Durham. Watch for migrant hawks. The birds will be similar to nearby
Congaree Swamp National Monument.

6. Santee National Wildlife Refuge, Colleton County. If possible contact the
refuge manager and get permission to bird the Pine Island Unit. If this is
not feasible, bird along the auto tour road in the Cuddo Unit. These can be
wonderful for LeConte's Sparrow and Henslow's Sparrow, and not too shabby
for Yellow Rail. Click some rocks together late in the day and be incredibly
lucky. Also watch for rails, shorebirds, Wild Turkey, Bald Eagle, and early
warblers.

7. Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, Jasper County. The auto tour road can
be fantastic in February. Maybe the Limpkin or the White-faced Ibis will
return. Watch for Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, and lots of ducks and
shorebirds. Nearby areas have a few armadillos. Bird the Kingfisher Pond
area as well as the auto tour road.

8. Francis Beidler Forest, Dorchester County. A great boardwalk through a
wonderful bald cypress swamp. Maybe the Yellow-crowned Night-Herons will be
back. Great for wintering land birds.

9. Port Royal Boardwalk Park, Beaufort County. This is a very accessible
salt marsh area with a 15 meter high observation tower, across the creek
from Parris Island, next to the South Carolina Port Authority terminal. This
can be wonderful, especially for Clapper Rail, Seaside Sparrow, Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrow, and Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow, as well as for
shorebirds, loons, herons, etc. Plus there are wonderful seafood restaurants
in the neighborhood, and you can listen to the recruits marching across the
creek at the Marine Corps depot. It's quite a place, and very easy to bird.

10. Magnolia Gardens, Charleston County. After checking out the camellias
and azaleas, watch for marsh birds and ducks. Also this is probably the best
place in the state for a possible wintering Bullock's Oriole (check out the
Baltimore Orioles carefully.)

11. Pitt Street Causeway, Charleston County.  Low tide is best, for
shorebirds, marsh birds, and possible rarities. Think Brant!

12. Folly Beach, Charleston County. Check out all three parts of the county
park, especially the Old Coast Guard station at the north end of the island.
This is a good spot for Lesser Black-backed Gull or other rarity. Ask Dennis
Forsythe for the latest birding news on Folly Beach. The fishing pier is
great for gulls, terns, loons, and gannets.

So that's it.  I have left out LOTS of great spots, but then a top dozen
list always leaves out good choices. Good luck.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com