hummer anatomy; SC CBCs

Hi Carolinabirders,

Had an accipiter, a Cooper's I think, whiz by me on Oregon St. yesterday
as I walked to the bus stop. It was perhaps 2 feet off the ground. It did
a quick Z-curve around a hedge and disappeared.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Norman Budnitz wrote:

> Subject: Re: Broad-billed Hummer (Sunday)
>
> Broad-billed or Broad-tailed?
>
> Quoting Joshua Stuart Rose <jsr6@duke.edu>:
> >
> > Shantanu Phukan and I saw the Broad-billed Hummingbird

Oops! Sorry about that. Yes, I meant Broad-TAILED. Makes it more
difficult to keep those names straight when you get both in one season,
and when the names are kind of odd and don't relate at all to identifying
them in the field. I mean, how much broader is the tail of Broad-tailed,
or the bill of a Broad-billed, compared to other hummingbirds? Certainly
not enough to tell with binoculars; maybe with callipers. (I could make a
similar complaint about Broad-winged Hawks, and probably many other
species).

Jack Peachey and Gary Phillips also caught my little boo-boo. Can't put
anything over on those Huntington Beachers!

Speaking of you folks from South of the Border, can anyone down there
tell me the SC CBC schedule, especially for counts within driving range
of Columbia? Atlanta-area count information would also be appreciated,
for those of you who cross over with the GA listserv. The wife and I are
plotting our holiday schedule, which will definitely include New Year's
and thereabouts on Lake Murray, but possibly also including time in
Atlanta, Chicago, and right back here in Durham. I already know the
schedule of Triangle counts; I'm trying to figure out in which of those I
can participate, if I'll have time to finally help with a count in
coastal NC (maybe the new Alligator River one), and whether I can find
CBCs in the other locations in which I can take part. I managed to sneak
onto the Rock Hill/York CBC at the last minute last year...

Thanks, and good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University