No Subject

Dear Folks:

	There was excellent bird watching - lots of birds and lots of species -
yesterday afternoon at Mason Farm and in the woodlands area east of Mason
Farm along Morgan Creek.  At Mason Farm I saw an American kestrel perched
atop a dead tree. It stayed there a long time looking around until
bothered by the flicker who was pecking its way up the trunk.  I rarely
see kestrels at Mason Farm.  In the woodlands I was surprised to spot a
male common yellowthroat.  This is the latest I've seen one around here.
Finally at the end of the afternoon, I sat on a log by Morgan Creek
hoping to see the pileated woodpecker I heard in the distance.  Suddenly
it flew into view and landed on a tree by the bank of the creek.  The sun
caught its red crest which glowed blindingly red in the light.  Gorgeous
sight!

Lucretia O. Kinney
Chapel Hill, NC