Nov 21-23 OB Report

I just returned from a 3-day effort to see the Long-eared Owl at Alligator River NWR and a Golden Eagle at Lake Mattamuskeet and came up empty handed.  I went to the Milltail Road location (0.2 miles south of Hwy 264, as posted by Jeff Lewis) Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.  Wednesday was very cold and windy-no owl, Thursday was very cold and foggy-no owl, but Friday the weather was perfect-no owl.  I tried several times on the 21st and 22nd to resee the Tropical Kingbird at Pea Island NWR with no luck.  I did see the Eared Grebe at Cape Hatteras on the 22nd.  I searched huge flocks of 10,000's of Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles east of  Lake Mattamuskeet but not a one of them had a yellow head.  I spent most of Friday birding the mostly dry impoundments on the eastern end of Lake Mattamuskeet but only came up with two immature Bald Eagles.  Let's be positive.  At L! ake Mattamuskeet I had 5 species of wrens and saw a "million" Swamp Sparrows.

Keith Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, NC 28056
704 824-0626