Snowy Owl seen 11/29

Due to e-mail problems, I am a little late in posting but nonetheless wanted
to second Scott Hartley's e-mail regarding the Snowy Owl yesterday.
Kathleen O'Grady and I observed the Snowy Owl yesterday from approximately
11:30 am until approximately 2:00 pm just a short walk beyond the end of the
ORV trail.  We were also enjoying the close Northern Gannets, gulls
(including a few really beautiful adult Great Black-backed Gulls - Larus
doesn't get any easier than Great Black-backed), a few Greater Scaup and an
occasional Common Loon.

For those of you riding the fence about the long ride to Ft. Fisher, let me
urge you to go.  I have yet to meet a bird I didn't like for one reason or
another but this owl tops out on my amazement scale.  From the feathered
feet to the pure white wing linings to the black/dark red mouth lining to
the ancient gold eyes, this owl is the coolest bird I've ever seen!

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"