lost Harris Hawk in Newlandl/Grandfather area

C-birders,

If anyone is up in this area and notices a Harris Hawk more than a little
out of place, its because a fellow falconer lost a tiercel (male) Harris  a
couple of weeks ago at Newland. For years falconers have hunted bunnies on
X-mas tree farms at Newland by the DOT station. I know from personal
experience as does John Thedieck, the owner of the lost bird, that high
winds in winter can take a bird a long ways from where you begin hunting,
especially at Newland. Whether or not winds had anything to do with the hawk
getting lost I do not know. All I know is that folks at Grandfather saw the
bird about 10 days ago. John did tell me that he talked to someone at a
yuppie housing development near Newland who tried to feed the hawk a "deer
biscuit". I doubt it was well-received by the HAHA.

If by chance someone encounters the bird, it should be easy to coax it down
via a tidbit of raw meat to a gloved fist. The bird should have bells and
jesses (leather leg straps). Now Harris Hawks have been accused of
maliciously assaulting "man and beast" in the County of Wilkes, so beware as
the feathered varmint might inflict serious injury as it weighs in at all of
19 ounces (lotsa pun intended). Seriously, if you see or manage to take the
bird into your possession, contact John at 919-556-8923 or
Jthedieck2@cs.com.

Thank you,

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC