Jordan Lake sightings 1 Dec 01

Birders,

Instead of heading off to Lake Mattamuskeet today, I ended up birding the
morning at Jordan Lake with Toni Rexrode.  The lake was pretty quiet
other than lots of Horned & Pied-billed Grebes.  On the settling ponds
near Ebenezer Pt. were GAdwall, Mallard, Bufflehead, and Black Duck.

A Fox Sparrow in full song was a special treat as I racked my brain
trying to figure out what that familiar song was!  Best bird of the day
was an Orange-crowned Warbler along the lakeshore between the Farrington
Boat Ramp and Farrington Bridge Rd.  While common in the coastal plain,
Orange-crowneds are pretty rare in the triangle, especially in December.

Good birding.

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278