sparrow fields near Samworth WMA, 12/1

A good day afield yields a county bird; an excellent day afield yields a
state bird.  A day with two state birds is, well, past excellent, especially
when the two species are sparrows, Seaside Sparrow and Lincoln's Sparrow.

Yesterday, after getting excellent looks at Seaside Sparrows with Jack
Peachey's  field trip at HBSP, I ventured out to the sparrow fields near
Samworth WMA in search of the Lincoln's Sparrow reported from there
previously.  At 3:30 pm when I arrived, the sun was getting low and time was
growing short to find my way back to a "main" road before darkness set in.
Nonetheless, I set out across the fields, walking slowly, stopping when I
scared up a little sparrow activity.  I began finding Song, Savannah,
White-throated and a few Swamp Sparrows. Finally I heard one different note
as a small flock of sparrows moved through the hedgerow beside me.  I
watched carefully as sparrows emerged from the brush and then re-concealed
themselves.  Somewhat accidentally, I glanced down the hedgerow.  Perched
quite comfortably barely thirty feet from me on the bottom twig on a four
foot sapling that grew out of the hedgerow was the object of my search.  I
had plenty of time to admire the Lincoln's Sparrow.  I could have counted
the pretty pinstripes on his breast had I been so inclined.

It's almost enough to make me take Jack's advice and start a Georgetown
county list.  Almost.

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"