Broad-tailed Hummer

Howdy,

While lots of Triangle birders were driving east on Saturday to see the
Snowy Owl, Joe and I drove west to Gibsonville, NC to see Monte's
Broad-tailed Hummingbird. Like others have reported, we heard him before
we saw him. He came to the feeder four times between 12:40 and 2 pm. I
finally found him perched in a tree also, which gave us longer looks
through the scope. Monte has a great yard for birds and relaxing. I
loved her water garden, statues, bird feeders, and landscaping. We
counted 18 species of birds while we were there, including a Fox
Sparrow.

On the way back to Raleigh, after a tour of the new Doris Duke Center at
Sarah Duke Gardens (lovely!), we looked for the White Pelican off the
I-85 Falls Lake Bridge. It was almost dusk. When I saw white, I thought
I might have the White Pelican. To my surprise, as Harry reported
earlier, I estimated 10 Great Egrets!! When we saw one Great Egret on
our Chapel Hill Bird Club walk at Brickhouse Rd. in early November, Will
said that was late. It's a treat to see them into December too! They
used to be a back yard bird when we lived in Florida, so I'm always
delighted to see them here.

The feeders haven't been as active this past week with the warm weather,
although today I've seen more a bit more. I'd like to report more birds
for Project Feederwatch, but that's part of the survey too--lack of
feeder birds.

Hope the Snowy Owl stays around awhile for more birders to see him!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh