CBC Precautions

Hi C-birders,

I dare say that I shave and shower less than most hunters. Not to mention
that I haven't had a haircut in a few years... I don't think we should
take the warning personally. I don't think the POLICE are the ones who
are concerned that we might be terrorists, but rather the police are
concerned that 9-11-itis suffering homeowners will be calling them about
suspicious characters, such that officers will waste time checking us out
when real crimes might be going on. Hunters tend to frequent areas out of
sight of people's homes, but birders often stop to inspect feeders and
such, and so are much more likely than hunters to be caught inspecting a
house, the owners of which then either call the cops or directly confront
the birders. I've been harassed by some folks on Horton's Pond Road who
objected to my looking at their father's feeders, and that was a couple
of years before all our present paranoia.

The Georgia listserv mentions a Snowy Owl in the NW part of the state.
Alas, it apparently died before any birders could give chase. The down-
side of a boreal invasion year...

Good birding,

Josh (who figures to take this weekend off and save up birding credits
for the CBCs, starting with Kitty Hawk/Alligator River)

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Biology (Zoology, R.I.P.)

jsr6@duke.edu