Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs in Carteret County, NC

Today, 9 December, Jack Fennell and I birded a private farm in Carteret
County, near the North River.

Highlights were about 20 Horned Larks (a species which I have never
before seen in Carteret County) and 2 Lapland Longspurs.  I assume these
longspurs were Laplands--we heard their rattle calls but never got to
see them well on the ground.

Many, many pipits in the area.  Also numerous raptors, including a
probable light-phase Rough-legged Hawk, which we unfortunately saw for
just a second.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com