White-winged Crossbills

Folks,
        Just returned from Grandfather Mountain with Bob Olthoff.  As
advertised by Dwayne Martin, the flock of White-winged Crossbills appeared
on cue at about 9:45 A. M.  The group of us had prolonged, drop dead views
of this very unusual visitor.  One thing that amazed me, is why would this
flock of birds return to the exact same tree as yesterday, when there are
hundreds of very similiar trees in the park to choose from.
        Also present were 100+ Pine Siskins, and lots of Red-breasted
Nuthatches.  Thank you Dwayne for a really great flock of birds!
        On another note, at Lake Julian in Buncombe County early this AM, I
had the following:
                        75 Gulls-mostly Ringed-bills but there were some
Bonaparte's mixed in
                        Several Red-breasted and Hooded Mergansers
                        25+ Redheads
                        15 Buffleheads
                         Several Scaup
                                                    Regards,