Re: Banded Junco

WAYNE . . .

Lots of banders handle Dark-eyed Juncos, especially since they come
regularly to feeders and are often trap-able. Two races are likely to
occur in your area: the northern race (Junco hyemalis hyemalis) that
comes down in winter, and the Appalachian race (J. h. carolinensis)
that breeds at higher elevations in Northern Carolina, perhaps even
near you. Not many of the Appalachian birds get banded because there
are relatively few bird banders in the Southeast. (There is a third
race, J. h. cismontanus, that breeds in the Yukon and is not likely
to show up in your area.)

If you get a really good look at your bird you may be able to make an
educated guess as to which race it is. The Appalachian race typically
produces birds that are bigger and much darker, while the northern
race is usually smaller and the birds often have a brownish cast to
their backs. Very pale birds are almost surely from the northern
race. (Note that darkness of color is not a very reliable indicator
of sex in juncos.)

Unless your junco hits a window or, heaven forbid, gets dragged in by
a neighborhood cat, you probably won't know the origin of the band,
but it's still neat that you were able to see a banded bird in your
yard.  :-)

Happy Birding,

BILL

--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.