Quaker Parrots in eastern NC

Hi folks,
    This is a late posting but quite interesting nonetheless. During
Thanksgiving while visiting friends and family in Nash Co., we had the
opportunity to observe a group of  Quaker Parrots constructing a large nest
atop a utility pole near Red Oak, just west of Rocky Mt.

    David Braswell, an avid outdoorsman and employee of Carolina Power and
Light, told us of seeing several "parrots" in a nest constructed on top of a
transformer on one of CP&L's utility poles. Being very skeptical we went to
the site and were stunned to see three large, green parrots busy at work
building a large, multi-storied nest! We were able to observe the birds as
they flew to nearby trees where they would cut large twigs from the branches
and then return to the nest and begin to weave the cuttings into the nest.
They are very vocal and very aggressive to anyone approaching the nest.

    It was only later after consulting a few references that we were able to
determine they were Quaker Parrots. They must certainly be released or
escaped birds, but they are a very cold-hardy species and certainly could
cope with winter in eastern North Carolina.

    I confirmed today that the birds are still there and available for
viewing. For those interested in seeing this most unusual sighting, the
directions are as follows: From Nashville, NC, take Hwy. 64 East Bypass
going toward Rocky Mt. After approximately 4-5 miles, take the Red Oak -
Business 64 exit going into Red Oak. Go about 1.4 miles to the intersection
of SR 1600 (Reges Road) and SR 1003 (Red Oak Hwy). Park at the L&L Food
Store there and look across Red Oak Hwy. at the utility pole to see the
nest.

    This is a rare and wonderful opportunity to see a tropical species
trying to make a go of it in eastern Piedmont NC. Good birding to all.

Ron and Suzanne Joyner
Big Horse Creek Farm
Antique and Heirloom Apples
e-mail: oldapple@bighorsecreekfarm.com