no WW Crossbills, but other G'father birds 12/21/01

My father Ken and I went in search of the White-winged Crossbills at
Grandfather Mt. today, but could not find them. From about 11:00 to 3:30 we
watched, with a temperature steady at about 30 degrees, with a wind chill
around 0 most of the time. There were many WW Crossbill candidates that flew
over, but I never got a good enough look to call anything. Other birds seen
during this time included: 4 EVENING GROSBEAKS, 5 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCES, 50+
PINE SISKINS, COMMON RAVEN, and 4 BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES. It was very easy
to watch and study the chickadees, as they were feeding at a feeder not 10
ft. away. Also a flock of about 30 WILD TURKEY along the parkway, with an
adult male displaying.

We observed a small falcon being mobbed by ravens. It was up over the summit
of Grandfather. Could this have been a merlin? It seems like an unlikely
place for a kestrel.

Alan Kneidel
Charlotte, NC