Barred Owl--neat backyard bird

I live in the downtown area of Morehead City, where there is relatively
little vegetation (with my yard being a notable exception).  In the
past, the only owl I've seen here is Great Horned, which turns up
occasionally, mostly in winter.  This morning when I went into the
backyard, I was not surprised to see a large owl, until I saw that it
was a Barred.  We watched each other for a few minutes before it flew.
Pretty neat.

Barred Owls quite obviously wander and migrate during the winter months.
At this season, they'll turn up in places where they do not occur as
permanent residents.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com