reeve at Falls Lake

Enjoyed a  good view of a reeve today while birding at upper Falls Lake.
The sighting occured 11:00 a.m. on the mudflats along Ellerbe Creek
northwest of Interstate 85. Access to this area is from Redwood Road. If
traveling north on I-85, take the Redwood Road exit and turn right to go
under the freeway. The road will shortly take a sharp left turn. Park here
next to a white wooden fence and walk down a trail to railroad tracks. Turn
right on the tracks and proceed until you see the trestle over Ellerbe
Creek. Go down to the now dry mudflats and follow the Ellerbe Creek channel
until it begins to widen considerably. There are shorebirds on these flats
and in flooded grass nearby. The walk from the trestle to this point is
about a mile, much of it through high grass.

This bird is mostly brown above with splotches of black on the neck,
breast, and a bit on the flanks. The first impression is a long-legged,
long-necked, but plump-bodied,  dark shorebird. Very erect posture. Bill is
dark with reddish tint toward base, about the same length (maybe a bit
longer) than the length of the head, stout at the base and drooping
slightly at the tip. Legs are yellow-green and extend beyond the tail in
flight. Of the various reeve and ruff illustrations I have reviewed, this
bird seems most like a breeding female.

I watched this bird for a bit over ten minutes. Unfortunately, I did not
see it leave the area and I could not relocate it after my initial
sighting.

Les Todd
Durham, NC
741-0440