Northern Goshawk

Hi - While not as exciting as a wagtail - I had an adult N. Goshawk here in Southern Pines, NC - yesterday 10-23-02 at about 5:30pm. I was at my sons soccer practice when I looked up and saw a large gray bird about 40 - 50 feet up flying across the field. I was about 40 yards from the bird. The birds grayish white under parts and dark gray wings - broad rounded - and upper parts were visible as it flew across. Its fluffy white under tail coverts really stood out/contrasted with the underside of the tail. The bird flapped two - three times and went into a glide into thick longleaf pines on the south side of the field and when it entered the trees it drew its wings up to "fit" through the branches etc.. a huge flock of grackles erupted. I observed the bird for less than five seconds and wanted to go chase it but as I was tied up coaching - couldn't go after it. It flew in the direction of Wayne Irvins house. Maybe it will stake out Waynes bird feeder:) My first N.C. Goshawk.

Scott Hartley Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve Southern Pines, NC - Moore Co.