Re: Wagtail comments by Sibley

[I just realized that I sent this only to Will rather than the entire
group, as I had intended.]

I was a little confused, as I thought I read in an earlier post that the
White Wagtail is a Western bird.  However, I checked the "Larousse Guide
to Birds of Britain and Europe," and the European bird is the same
Motacilla Alba Alba (sic).

Having now seen subsequent posts about White Wagtail vs. Pied Wagtail, I
thought it might be of interest to some of you if I posted the entries
for these two birds in the above-mentioned book (which is from 1983, if
that matters).

WHITE WAGTAIL Motacilla alba alba:  Ver common in open country, farms,
villages, towns and rocky areas, usually near water.  Nests on ledges or
in open holes, usually low above the ground.

Black, grey and white plumage and long, constantly-wagged tail
distinguish it from all other birds except Pied Wagtai.  Immature
resembles immature Grey Wagtail, but has white (not yellow) under
tail-coverts and a dark area on breast.  Sometimes has greenish and
yellowish areas on head.  Male in spring has more extensive black than
female, particularly on side of neck.  On female grey back also extends
further up.  In winter both have white throat, but distinctive
crescent-shaped black area on upper breast.  Outside breeding season
usually seen in small flocks but sometimes congregates in large roosts
in reedbeds in winter.  Tail-wagging and bobbing of head when walking
are characteristic.  Runs very fast.  Lives on insects taken on the
ground but will occasionaly catch them in the air like the flycatchers.
Flight very undulating.  Call is two-syllable 'tseep.'  Song, which is
seldom heard, is twittering.

PIED WAGTAIL Motacilla alba yarrelli:  Subspecies of White Wagtail
limited to British Isles and sporadically on adjacent continental
coasts.  (Locally in Norway, germany, Holland, Belgium and north-western
France.)  Habitat similar to that of White Wagtail.  Adult bird easily
told from White Wagtail by solid black back.  Male told from female by
more extensive black bib and side of neck.  One-year-olds resemble White
Wagtails but upper rump is blackish, not grey.  Immature resembles
female White Wagtail in winter plumage closely but has whiter front and
darker crown.  Voice and behavious similar to White Wagtail.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC
alurie@nc.rr.com