Chimney Swifts

Hello Carolinabirders,

Just in case you haven't heard, there is a very large Chimney Swift roost at
Broughton High School in Raleigh.  Here is what John Connors had to say about
the roost but reports later this week estimate even larger numbers ...

take a visit to Broughton High School at the
corner of St. Mary's and Peace St. There are 4-5000 swifts roosting in
that chimney offering spectacular viewing. There is construction
(renovating heat & air among other things) on site so you should walk
behind the Holliday Gym (in back of school off St. Mary's ), around the
corner and you'll come to a courtyard with steps. You'll be viewing away
from the sunset but the birds will be flying overhead. Two nights ago a
sharp-shinned hawk was sitting atop the chimney much to the dismay of
the swirling swifts- I clapped my hands to dislodge him and he flew to a
nearby pine. The swifts then began entering the chimney. Something tells
me the sharpie knows where to get a daily sunset meal.

I was there on Tuesday night and can vouch for the sharpie but I had to leave
before the swifts settled in for the night.

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh