Re: request

I know exactly what Bruce is describing  --  especially the
no-longer-innocuous headers such as "Hi" (not to mention the recent
"Whips & Chucks" header, which I at least recognized right away!)

I get a lot of email from various genealogy lists, and *most* of them
incorporate the name of the mailing list in the header.  For example,
the list for Erie County, PA prefaces *all* headers with "[PAERIE]"
(even the occasional blank header), so I know who (or what list) sent
the message.

NOTE:  I do *not* mean to imply that this is any protection from a
virus, as viruses can  --  and do  --  manage to attach themselves to
messages from such a mailing list.  I will, say, however, that I haven't
ever been able to trace spam back to a mailing list, and all the
listowners have been very conscientious, just as on Carolinabirds.

Just my $.02 worth [and just when did that "cent" key disappear from my
keyboard, anyhow? :) ]

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC