Brunswick County, NC, birds, 11/9/02

My fishing partner and I spent part of the day on Shallotte River, and while the fishing was poor, the birding was interesting. We saw Forster's terns, laughing gulls, ring-billed gulls and a herring gull plus several kingfishers, great blue herons and a great egret. I spotted an accipiter soaring way up but wasn't able to determine for certain whether it was a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's.
Before leaving the coastal area, we drove from Shallotte to the two ponds on the Calabash Road at Sunset Beach. There we found wood storks, white ibis, great blue herons, at least four black-crowned night-herons, and, to my surprise, an orange-crowned warbler which held still long enough for me to get a solid ID. I could see clearly its overall color, split eye ring, and the blurry streaks on the breast.
Returning to Fayetteville, we saw a red-tailed hawk that landed on top of the Social Services building on Ramsey Street. That was our only "for certain" hawk of the day.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu