Cedar Waxwings & suet

A friend who works with the Francis Marion reserve told me Saturday that a huge flock, 100's, maybe 1000's of Cedar Waxwings homed in on the berries near the headquarters of the Park last week.

Our experience with suet is this. At first birds do not know what it is. By breaking chunks of suet mix off and mixing it with the bird feed introduces to them the taste and smell. We have found that a home made mix with lard (no Crisco), peanuts, peanut butter, cornmeal, oatmeal etc is most desired. In fact we had to stop feeding this for awhile and the birds were eating us out of house and home.
Cardinals, Mocking birds, Black birds, as well as the woodpeckers learned to fly upside down and latch on to the mesh under the feeder. Rather entertaining.
We have never had much luck with raw butcher suet although my daughter in PA feeds nothing but that. It may be the temperature.