suet and CBCs so far

Hi Carolinabirders,

Wow, we should change the name of the listserv to "CarolinaSuet"... I
actually noticed something new and interesting. My suet had been hanging
horizontally below a metal hook; I had read that this made it harder for
Starlings to get at it, plus I could attach the cage at the top and bottom
to keep mammals from dragging it off. After the latest cleaning and
refilling, I hung it horizontally instead. After weeks of birdlessness, a
Downy Woodpecker was on the feeder within hours of the new hanging
arrangement.

Of course, this also coincided with the first serious cold snap of the
season, so maybe the woodpecker's visit had to do more with that than with
how the feeder was hanging.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Alex Netherton wrote:

> I was at the grocery store today and asked for suet. I got a football sized
> lump of the stuff. Now what do I do with it?

Take a steak knife to it! Carve it into chunks that will fit into your
feeder. Stick one in there, the rest in your freezer. You don't even need
to thaw the frozen chunks before refilling your feeder, unless you store
them in the same container and they get frozen together.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Robert C. Perkins wrote:

> Where is the most up-to-date list of CBCs and contacts for the
> Carolinas?  I remember some recent discussion but not the whereabouts
> of the info online.

As far as I know, the CBC schedule is not on-line anywhere. Judy Walker is
preparing the complete list of CBC dates for the CBC (the club, not the
count) newsletter, and will probably post it here too, but apparently
doesn't have all the dates yet. The CBC website has a clickable map with
all the counts marked on it
http://map.birdsource.org/Mapper/startCBCCompID.html
but while this has the name, address, and e-mail for each count's
compiler, the date is not provided.

I've been keeping track of the counts posted to Carolinabirds, here are
the ones I've heard of so far:

Saturday, December 14: Raleigh, Kitty Hawk, Clemson, McClellanville,
		Mount Jefferson

Sunday, December 15: Durham

Saturday, December 21: York/Rock Hill, GSMNP-Gatlinburg, New River

Sunday, December 22: Alligator River NWR, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 28: Falls Lake, Tryon, Stone Mountain

Sunday, December 29: Jordan Lake, Okracoke(?), GSMNP-Cades Cove

Monday, December 30: Portsmouth Island(?), Litchfield/Pawley's Island

Saturday, January 4: Lake Wateree, Wilmington, Mount Rogers/Whitetop,
		Knoxville TN

Sunday, January 5: Southport

As usual, some of the counts I want to participate in are conflicting with
each other (Alligator River with Chapel Hill, Jordan Lake with Okracoke),
so I have some tough decisions to make... And the dates of some of the
best counts - Pea and Bodie Islands, Mattamuskeet, Cape Hatteras - have
not yet been made public; these usually seem to fall on weekdays between
Christmas and New Year's.

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose