Pileateds, Owls, Bluebirds, Hummers

>Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:55:29
>To: carolinabirds.edu
>From: Kaye Fenlon <ktfenlon@mindspring.com>
>Subject: Pileateds, Owls, Bluebirds,  Hummers
>
>While walking in the neighborhood this past week I saw a mockingbird "dive
bombing" a Pileated taking refuge in a dogwood tree. For the past two weeks
I have seen 3 pileated working Pine trees in that same area....wonderful!I
am going to try the molasses and corn syrup to attract them to come to my
backyard more frequently. I have never had any luck in attracing them to
suet or my peanut butter " mix."

>Also had a large flock of Crows and Bluejays chasing a Barred Owl in my
backyard last week. Ran into the house to get my binocs (love my Eagle 8x42
Platinums...thanks to everyone for the recommendations!) and was able to
watch them chase him into several other backyards before the owl finally
was able to take refuge in the Bayshore Park. Since then I have heard the
loud "fracas" 3 more times.

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can attract Bluebirds to
mealworms or peanut butter suet? I have tried it on my platform feeders and
even cut a bluebird size hole in one of my birdfeeders to no avail. They do
come to a front bird bath and one cold day last week 3 Bluebirds were
sitting on the Bluebird house in my back yard.