Cave Swallow at Caw Caw

Cave Swallow at Caw Caw County Park, Charleston, SC.

The following is a description of a Cave Swallow, Petrochelidon fulva, seen
in a flock of 100 Tree Swallows, Tachycinete bicolor, on 11/29/2002 from
10:45-11:15 am at Caw Caw Park in Ravenel, SC. by Perry Nugent.  This
sighting follows several that have been reported from the North Carolina
coast in the past few days and illustrates the value of such reports.  This
bird flew around and around by me, often coming within a foot of my head,
for at least 30 minutes.  It had a buffy throat, cinnamon forehead, bright
rusty-buff rump, a dark squared tail, dark wings and a dark head. The bird
was still around when I left. Hopefully, we will see it again on the walk
tomorrow morning.

Perry E. Nugent
Charleston, SC
nugentpc@earthlink.net