New Member

Hello to all,

    My name is Kurt and I have just enrolled into this group.  I live about 10 miles east of Raleigh, in Knightdale N.C.  I live on a farm of about 100 acres with many diverse environments including 2nd year cutover, mature woods with streams, open fields, lowland thickets and ponds.
    I am looking forward to learning from this group.
Some birds I found interesting that I have seen this weekend are:
20 - Cedar Waxwings
2 - Golden-Crowned kinglets
 1 - Brown Creeper
 1 - Woodcock
 1 - Sharp-shinned hawk

Some Local Residents include:

Rufous-sided Towhees
Mockingbirds
Brown Thrasher
Blue Heron
Wood Ducks
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Red-Tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Northern Cardinal
Northern Bobwhite
Carolina Wren
Titmouse
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-Shafted Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
American Crow
White-breasted nuthatch
Belted Kingfisher
Bluejays
Green Heron
Song Sparrow
Purple Finch
House Finch

Some Migrators - Warm Season

Indigo Bunting
Great-crested Flycatcher
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Chimney Swifts (Our chimney)
American Robin
Bluebirds
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Recent Arrivals

White-throated Sparrows
Juncos
Hermit thrush
Eastern Phoebe
Swamp Sparrow
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Occasionals

Great Horned Owl
Common Nighthawk
Whip-poor-will
Eastern Screech-owl
Gold Finches
Canada Geese
Catbird
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager
Brown-headed Cowbird
Fish Crow

I am sure this list is very incomplete, but this is it for now.

Most unusual bird I have seen:  On the Wayne County/Johnston County border, in a deep swamp - Plain Chachalaca
Recently in Umstead Park - Black-throated Blue Warbler

Regards, Kurt Barnhart