Cardinal Dilema

My friend has an dilema, and I am not sure I have a good answer. She has cardinals that perch on her car and look at themselves in the side-view mirrors. I think they have teritorial or social structure issues when they look in the mirrors. Anyway, she complains about the bird dropping on her car.

The only thing I can think of to take care of the problem is to cover the mirrors with plastic bags. Can anyone think of something else to do?

Thanks,
Drew