thrush and mimic thrush

Saw a hermit thrush and a mockingbird hopping along my gravel driveway today. I've seen mockers do the "wing twitch" thing plenty of times, but the hermit thrush was doing it too! I always thought mockingbirds did this to flush insects, but I can't imagine many insects would be out in this icy weather. Anyone have a theory on this behavior?

Leah

Leah Campbell Cornwell, SC faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd