From: carolinabirds-owner@acpub.duke.edu
[mailto:carolinabirds-owner@acpub.duke.edu]On Behalf Of Jonathan V Hays
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 10:13 PM
To: carolinabirds
Subject: blue-winged warbler?

Hi,

I recently moved to the East Coast and this area and am not familiar with
birds here. Also, I apologize for the late posting.

Monday (a couple of days before the ice storm) I had long looks at a warbler
I've never seen before, hopping around 15 feet in front of me on an
intersection road in North Raleigh (Old Elizabeth Road and Elaine Ave, near
Spring Forest Rd and Hwy 401). Its colors matched most of the
characteristics of a female Blue-winged warbler, but there was not a black
eye stripe - it was more of a darkish spot around the eye. My books indicate
the Blue-winged warbler is a summer resident only. Was this possibly a late
migrant or some other bird?

Thanks,

Jonathan Hays