Carolina Wren winter roost.

We often have one or two Carolina Wrens spend winter nights in a fuscia
plant that we hang for them in a sheltered corner of the deck. None had been
there this winter until this morning.
We were able to watch this bird prepare a depression in the hanging basket
and tonight she/or he is there.
This bird spent ten minutes tossing soil and dead leaves out of the basket.
The depression is about 3/4 in. deep and two and a half inches long.
When the wren roosts there it raises its feathers until only the beak can be
seen and forms almost a perfect sphere. When the wren is in this position
what were stripes in the feathers become round whitish spots. With the dead
leaves around the depression the camoflage is almost perfect.
                                        Reece
Reece 'n Judy Mitchell
Flat Rock, NC
rmitche2@tds.net