Re: Dead House Finches

Hi,

Well birds die as all other animals (including us) for many reasons (illness,
disease, stress etc.). Without detail study it is hard to say why particular bird
dead. Nevertheless even very small birds (like Kinglets) can survive ca -40C
(don't ask how many F is that) if they have good source of food. The worst were
two days after that ice storm when all branches were covered with ice. I am
afraid that big number of small birds dead 3-4 days ago looking for food under
the ice layer.
So now, I think the temperature not much below freezing very unlikely may causes
birds death in vicinity of feeders. You can always check if breast muscles are
well developed and if there is any fat layer on the belly. If the breast is full
(hard to feel keel under your fingers) means most probably lack of food wasn't
the cause of death.

Mike

I have small "window feeders" and had first Bluebirds, House Finches and
Cardinals this morning. What a mixture of colors!

Bwstagsleap@cs.com wrote:

> Yesterday I found a dead male House Finch on my patio. Today I found a dead
> female House Finch on my birdfeeder. I doubt she ate herself to death. Is the
> cold weather being this hard on the birds? Any ideas ?
> Thanks,
>
> Brad Feuss
> Charltte,NC

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.