Snipe or Woodcock?

This morning at Mason Farm, in addition to the usual winter birds, two
of us were treated to a ~30sec. flight of a very long billed, round
bodied bird that never made a sound. We both got the bird solidly in our
binoculars and were able to each keep it there for the duration of it's
rather slow but erratic flight. At the time, we both individually
decided that it was an American Woodcock. After it landed silently in
the long grasses to be forever lost again, we looked it up in Peterson's
and decided again that it was an Am. Woodcock.  Looking at the
observation log, another observer logged Am. Woodcock in the evening of
Dec. 16 in the parking area. This would seem to confirm, however, our
sighting was at 10:20am in full sun.

Since then, I've been looking in some other guides, and think that the
shape was perhaps more like a Common Snipe. We'll probably never know
what it really was, but it sure was nice to see something significantly
different from the typical winter residents there.  Highlights of the
other birds seen there this morning included:
Hermit thrushes
both Kinglets
towhees
Redwinged and Rusty headed blackbirds
Yellow-rumped warblers
Red-bellied woodpecker
Yellow bellied Sapsucker
Winter Wren
Red Tailed hawk
Goldfinches
and some of the bluest bluebirds
and an incredible number of flickers

All in all 26 species of birds, plus white-tailed deer and numerous mice
including some that seemed abnormally large, but weren't rats.

Mike Swaim
wandering