stickpiles

Barb and I have had a large natural area in both our front and back yards
for the 40 years we have lived on this almost an acre heavily wooded lot.
Winter of last year, we made a stick pile in the back near a bird house of
long standing, and for the first time ever we had a family of house wren to
raise in the box. The parents constantly scavenged the stick pile, and we
think it was the reason the box was used.
      We have increased it this winter, and have added one in the front
yard. I feed scattered mixed seed on the ground near one, and it is full of
white-throated sparrow, towhee,cardinal etc.
       Give it a try !! Bob and Barb Maxwell, Greenville,SC
bobmax1@charter.net