Caswell Beach, NC birds today (5 Jan)

Birders,

Will Cook and I just returned from the Southport CBC held today (5 January
2003).  Our coverage area was Caswell Beach and Yaupon Beach.  I'll let
Ricky Davis (the count compiler) tell you about overall count highlights &
results but Will and I found about 95 species including a couple of
Whimbrel and an immature Ruby-throated-type Hummingbird.  The Whimbrels
have wintered for at least the last 3 years at Fort Caswell, and the
hummer was a stakeout (although we didn't know which species to expect) at
a feeder in Caswell Beach.

Ocean-watching this morning was particularly fun first thing this morning
with a constant stream of loons flying East.  We estimated that we saw
over 2000 Red-throated Loons and about 50 Commons!  (We thought about ya,
Karen!)  Also, a flock of nearly 3000 D-c Cormorants were "suddenly" right
there on the water next to us.  It was quite a sound when they all took to
the wing at once.

Overall the weather was fantastic and it certainly was a good way to jump
start the ol' year list!

Good birding,

Jeff

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278