help with bird call

As a newbie to the East Coast I need some help identifying an elusive
bird that I hear every morning in the North Raleigh woods but can't
catch a glimpse of.

When it's off in the distance the call sounds like a high-pitched
monotone "wee-wee-wee [pause] wee-wee-wee" or sometimes it starts with 2
tones: "wee-wee [pause] wee-wee-wee." But as it gets closer I can hear a
slight modulation: "ta-wee-ta-wee-ta-wee [pause] ta-wee-ta-wee-ta-wee."

I easily recognize the Carolina Wren which is very modulated (in all the
variation that I've heard so far, anyway) and it's definitely not the
White- or Red-Breasted Nuthatch which also have repeated monotonic
calls.

Although I'm not by any means an expert "birder by ear" I can't help but
suspect it is some species not common on the West Coast, from where I
just moved as I'm familiar with the calls of many West Coast winter
species.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan Hays