Re: Seabird kills off the Outer Banks (NC)

Here are links to a couple of newspaper articles.

Seabird deaths remain a mystery
New Bern Sun Journal 1/3/03
http://www.newbernsunjournal.com/Details.cfm?StoryID=6425

N.C. seabird deaths spur probes
Raleigh N&O 1/1/03
http://www.newsobserver.com/front/digest/story/2056853p-1978421c.html

Thanks to Shelley Theye and Ken Yount for sharing the links.

> Forwarded from Birdchat...

> Date:    Sat, 4 Jan 2003 02:14:16 -0500
> From:    Glenn Stauffer <wabisabi@PTD.NET>
> Subject: Seabird kills off the Outer Banks (NC)
>
> We were vacationing on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this past week
> and I heard a radio report about sea bird kills being reported
> throughout the area.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch all of the
> details.
>
> During our stay, we saw numerous gull carcasses on the beach and came
> across a Northern Gannet on the beach at Cape Hatteras Light.  Still
> alive and alert, but apparently unable to fly off the beach.  It was
> trying to get back out to sea through the surf when we left.
>
> Has anyone heard anything more about the problem of seabird deaths off
> the Outer Banks?
>
> Glenn Stauffer
> Lititz, PA

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708